Sometimes a little bit of nothing is a pretty good something

I've been riding the COVID Coaster, full of peaks and plunges. Here's a recent ride. 

7:06--wake up, grumble that it's cloudy and cold.  

7:11--ask my darling, generous, and supportive wife when the hell the coffee was made, cause it tastes like crap. 

7:22--sarcastically note there is still a pandemic interfering with how I want to live MY LIFE!

7:29--harrumph that I should just go back to bed (even though my pillow pissed me off last night with its insolent lack of support). 

Holy ungratefulness Batman! 

Here's just some of what I overlooked: it was sunny and warm not long ago; my wife got out of bed early on a Monday morning and made coffee for us; the pandemic affects us all, and there is really NO comparison between how I've been touched by it and the suffering of so many; and I'm truly fortunate to have a super comfortable bed in a warm and loving home. 

Talk about crazy train! But how are we supposed to stay on the grateful side of the tracks?! By choosing to drink from the never ending spring of gratitude. 

I've taken to reading (and studying) a famous book in the past few years. In it there is a call to stop putting yourself in the center of the universe. To get over ourselves and to look for what we can contribute to a given situation, not get from it. To be and act with gratitude.

Recently I flagged down a passing municipal service truck and asked them about the city plowing snow from certain nearby sidewalks. They said yea it was them and I said thanks, it makes it easier my older arthritic dog to walk. They visibly startled (probably because they get more complaints than anything). Then they smiled wide. 

I tell you this only to share what people I love and trust have encouraged me to do. The key is a desire to dedicate time and attention to the practices of kindness and affirmation. And to realize the power of human connection can make a pretty good something out of a little bit of nothing.  



No comments:

Post a Comment